Interested in becoming a member of LASTC?
Your membership in STC includes membership in a local chapter. Membership in the Society for Technical Communication (STC) includes:
- Subscription to Intercom (the Society’s national magazine) and the quarterly Technical Communication Journal
- Discounted admissions to educational seminars, courses, and the Technical Communication Summit
- Access to online forums and discussion groups
In addition, the Los Angeles Chapter offers:
- Meetings, workshops and classes for a reduced members-only rate
- Networking with other technical communications professionals in the area
- Opportunities to build your skill base
For more information, or to join STC, please visit the STC international website. When you join, you’ll be asked which local chapter you’d like to join – please select the Los Angeles Chapter and join us at our next chapter meeting!
STC Announces Membership Discounts and Recruitment Incentives, Renewal Policy Changes, and New Dues Rates
On-Time Registration Discount and Recruitment Incentives
To encourage timely renewals, the STC Board of Directors approved a discounted rate of $195 for members joining or renewing at the Classic Membership level on or before
31 December 2012. Dues rates for individuals joining or renewing after 31 December 2012 are outlined below. Participation in membership recruitment programs, such as the Member-Get-a-Member campaign, will make it possible for members to receive additional credits on their 2013 dues.
Changes to Renewal Policy
Based on member feedback, several changes have been made to the STC renewal policy:
- The reinstatement fee for late-renewing members has been eliminated.
- Membership terms are on a calendar-year basis and expire 31 December. Access to 2012 membership benefits (including members-only resources and events and member pricing) will be extended until 15 January 2013.
- Starting January 2013, Membership dues will be prorated based on the month a member joins or renews.
- Despite other changes to renewal deadlines, individuals must still join or renew by 28 February 2013 to be eligible to vote in the STC elections.
New Dues Rates for 2013
The STC Board also voted in August to make several changes to the existing dues structure for the 2013 membership year. After 31 December 2012, dues at the Classic and Gold Education membership levels will increase to $225 and $425, respectively. For individuals residing in emerging nations, there will be a reduction in the cost of adjusted dues at the Classic and Student membership levels to $50 and $25, respectively, and community memberships in emerging nations will be reduced to $10 per chapter and $5 per SIG. All other levels of membership dues will remain at the same price as 2012.
The 2013 STC dues structure is outlined in the following table. Registration for renewal opens on 1 October. For additional details, please visit our membership page.