The Society of Technical Communication began twice: in 1953, two organizations concerned with improving the practice of technical communication were founded on the East Coast: the Society of Technical Writers, and the Association of Technical Writers and Editors. Four years later, these organizations merged in 1957 to form the Society of Technical Writers and Editors (STWE).
In 1971, the organization’s name was changed to the Society for Technical Communication. Today, STC is the largest professional society in the world dedicated to the advancement of theory and practice of technical communication.
Meanwhile, in Los Angeles…
In 1954, shortly after the founding of the national organization, a group of engineers who wrote instructions, reports and proposals for local aircraft companies banded together to form the Technical Publishing Society. Another merger happened in1960, when the East Coast STWE joined the Technical Publishing Society. With the growth of the aerospace and defense industries, the computer revolution and the spread of technology, the Los Angeles chapter of STC (LASTC) has continued to flourish. We have hosted international and regional conferences, received many awards, and spun off three other chapters as our membership grew. Two of the chapters have merged back with us, so that once again we represent the greater Los Angeles area.