No, I’m not prepping for a climb up Mt. Everest. I don’t go for exotic mountain climbing. I prefer small scalable hills. So I’m prepping to climb the STC 2016 Summit! For the first time in eight years, I can attend this international conference in my backyard…since I extended my Los Angeles backyard to Anaheim! Not only will I attend the Summit, but I’ll be in my childhood hero’s neighborhood: Mickey Mouse, here I come!
As with any climb—or trip to a summit—I prepare myself physically and fiscally. With the STC Summit, I also prepare professionally. Here’s what I’ve accomplished so far:
- registered in January
- booked hotel–easier than commuting daily on the freeway (aka slow-way)–from LA
- set aside the funds for the hotel payment
- checked my supply of business cards
- volunteered for onsite activities
- reviewed the schedule and highlighted potential workshops to attend
- walking on my treadmill daily to train for the walking and running around the conference center
And a non-traditional activity: I volunteered to receive items my SIG (Technical Editing) needs at the Summit. I set those packages aside as they come in. I enjoy receiving these boxes…like a kid receiving holiday gifts! We have a special game in store for folks at the Technical Editing SIG welcome table!
I know that there’s more to do as I get closer to the May 15, 2016 start date. I’ll add to my action list. Besides visiting Mickey, I might explore other activities around Anaheim. And I’ll re-review the workshop list, yet be prepared for last-minute changes.
Once at the Summit, I’ll post about the activities fairly real-time. Follow along!
Interested in climbing the STC Summit with me? There’s still time to register; visit the Summit website.
Posted by the LASTC Summit Reporter, Sherri Henkin